Skip to main content

Not ashamed (of being a foodie)

This is the part where I would normally say "Dang it's been so long since I made a blog post!" But HA! It's only been 5 days! (I'm very proud of myself). I *meant* for it to be sooner, but between a migraine on Wednesday evening and horrid, horrid cramps last night, I got a bit delayed.

I did make a fantastic dinner last night, and tonight as well. Last night was chicken milanese with potatoes, mushrooms, and roasted asparagus. I only took a picture of the potatoes and mushrooms though.
 Mmm...cast iron cooking for the win, right here! Pictures of food are something that seem to pop up a lot in my instagram, which I guess makes me a foodie. But I'm okay with that, because food is amazing and I like to eat.

Part of the reason I keep taking pictures of my food like a weirdo though, is because I finally learned how to cook actual "from scratch" meals, thanks to this lady right here:
 Ree Drummond might be a genius. There on the right side, you can see all my little flaggies (also bought from Target...because the $1 spot is the best thing in the history of ever) of bookmarked recipes, most of which have been made over and over. Every single thing I've made out of this book has been delicious. My family likes to do a big gathering every 2 or 3 weeks where all the kids get together at Mom and Dad's (OK, back story time, it's technically my dad and step-mom, they have been together since I was 5 and I have 3 younger half brothers, and we don't make distinctions in our house about "step" this or "half" that. I have 2 moms and 2 dads and 3 little brothers, end of story. I love all my parental units to bits and bits, and my brothers probably most of all, right after my kid and husband), and I usually cook. If I can get my picky ass baby brother to chow down like there is no tomorrow, something is going right.

Not only that, but I feel like such a grown up using cornstarch! And heavy cream! And WINE in my recipes!! Basically, if you are like how I used to be, and constantly cook out of a box, go to Target and get the damn book. It's gorgeous and makes gorgeous, yummy food, and you won't regret it.


We are currently going through one of Missouri's oh-so-famous PMSey weather phases, where it's warm and sunshiney and then the next day it's freezing again, but this weekend is shaping up to another beautiful one so I guess I won't complain. Tomorrow I am helping my BFF (another side note, I use terms like "BFF" with no sarcasm/irony, child of the '90s that I am) shop and get ready for her husband's 30th birthday party tomorrow night. Really I'm just using this as an excuse to hang out with her daughter, who's the cutest 1 year old I know. After said shopping and hanging out with the best baby girl ever, I'll head home and get myself and Jon ready, and get Dono packed for an overnight at my parents house. He's going to be hanging out with his Uncle Darrin all night, which means lots of Super Smash Bros and ice cream. Did I mention my little brothers are the best? Jon and I will be spending the evening having quality bonding time with friends. I will be sure to take lots of pictures (I mean it this time!), as we have all been friends for ages and ages and tend to get quite ridiculous after we have a few drinks in us.


After a very long week between work, migraines, and stupid cramps, I'm very much looking forward to this weekend.


I figured I'd finish this off with a picture of the pup who hasn't been featured on the blog yet, Mr. Louie. This fluff ball is pretty much impossible to get a good picture of because HE NEVER STOPS MOVING, and if you call his name he thinks it means that you want him thisclosetoyourfacewithlotsofkisses. He's 8 years old, a Pomapoo (who comes up with these names, seriously?) and Daddy's boy through and through. He's also a pretty amazing dude, shaggy hair and all.



Feel free to follow me!
Instagram @shadeygirl149
Pinterest @shadeygirl or Stephanie Shade - where you will find lots of geek and nerdy content + hippie shit
Etsy @flowerchildsboutique & flowerchildscozies - where I sell stuff, so uh, you should go check it out and favorite EVERYTHING so I show up higher in the search listings...because Etsy has a system, yo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake It Out

We went to see Florence + the Machine last night for Buzz Under the Stars Night 1. It was blessed. Flo took me to church and shook my soul up, and soothed my weary heart with her voice. It's my second time seeing her in concert, and I think each time is always going to be like a religious experience. It's magic when an artist moves you to tears over and over. Yesterday was full of excitement and love and peace. Today (tonight really), my funk has started to rear its ugly head again. I feel...listless and restless and ready to explode out of my skin. I've been perusing my favorite website, Rebelle Society , reading beautiful essays and poetry that resonate deeply, reflecting my worries and fears and anguish back to me and forcing me to look. Forcing me to accept that I'm hurting and scared when I want to just keep pretending that I'm all good. Accepting my slump, I feel, is the first step towards pulling out of it. The cycles of depression I go through

Live, from New York

It's Super Tuesday NY Edition! Super-Mega-NYC Tuesday! Or something... If you've paid attention to CNN/MSNBC/FOX in the last 48 hours, that's what the 24 hour news stations are pitching, anyway. Right now Bernie has Hillary under a 20 point lead. With 45+% to still report, I'm feel *somewhat* confident that it will get under 15%. Berners (yeah, I went there) knew this was a likely outcome. Onward, forward, etc etc etc. Sometimes I think America doesn't deserve Bernie Sanders. Or maybe we just aren't ready for him. God knows we need him though. Moving on. Kansas City FINALLY had a good day of rain yesterday. It was glorious. I came home from work, set the kiddo up with a snack and threw on grubby clothes and spent most of the evening outside in the garden, playing in the mud (it had stopped raining by this point, at least) and pulling up phlox. Yeah. You saw that right. Phlox. The bane of my gardening existence. See, our house sits on a .76 acre lot i

Happy Easter/Ishtar/Eostre/Rebirth/Celebration of Life!

And what a beautiful day it was! 65 and sunny- I, unfortunately, did not get to enjoy most of it because I had to work. Boo. C'est la vie...at least I will have all 6 of the major federal holidays off this year, instead of having to work half of them like in the past. I am feeling quite poopy. The husband seems to have given me his cold. At least I'm hoping it's his cold. I'm praying for little to no allergy activity this year, but it could definitely be that too. I'll give it another few days before I start popping Claritin with any regularity. In the mean time, I'm drinking Theraflu and hot tea and just trying not to sneeze on everyone I see. I haven't gotten much accomplished for the shop this week, a few pacifier cases and I'm about 10 rows from finishing a new ruffle scarf...literally like 10 rows. I should really just bust it out tonight, but I'm at the point in the night where I'd rather be writing than knitting, so I'm putting