Skip to main content

Heat Waves, #Brexit, and Baseball

It's been miserably hot here in the mid-west the last two weeks. Evidently we are trapped in a heat dome, and therefore have had consistent highs in the 90s...which for Kansas City in June, is not typical. It feels like it's August already. This makes me nervous for when *actual* August arrives. I vaguely recall August of 2012, when the drought started and we were living in Wichita. I'm pretty sure we had something crazy like 15 days in a row where the temp got over 100. It. Was. Miserable.

For now, I will just keep being thankful for air conditioning.

Little man has been playing t-ball for about 4 weeks now, and he had his second game a few days ago. I got a new camera (a Canon EOS Rebel SL1) and I've been taking it out for spins, playing with settings and getting used to the hundreds of things I can do with it.

I love that I get shots like this.

Yes, he has his glove on his head...he's 7.

Right out of the box, it's amazing. And I'm pretty sure it's going to revolutionize my Etsy shop...if I can ever get the time to bust out pictures for 150+ listings, ha ha. And then sit down and do all the editing.

Tonight we are going to a movie in the park with 3 of our best friend families (I don't know what to call us...'group of friends' is not a strong enough word, my best friend nixed my idea of 'framily', and anytime I say 'my tribe' I feel like a fucking hipster poser...they are my people, I guess). I plan on dragging the camera along and, fingers crossed, getting some great shots of the kids.


The next few weeks are going to be busy...we have our annual 4th of July BBQ next weekend, and then the week after we are going camping! Camping! I haven't been camping in 20 years! I booked us 2 nights down at Lake Pomme de Terre in southern MO...I'm stupidly excited, and a little anxious. I will be turning the cell phone off as soon as we get there, and it won't be turned back on until Sunday, most likely. I do plan on taking a shed load of pictures though, and it will probably be picture overload around here after we get back.


The other elephant in the room...the #Brexit vote...yeeeaaaaah...it was interesting to watch the market nose dive in real time on Friday at work, I guess? But really...once again, the older generation making piss poor decisions that the younger generation will have to deal with, and probably fix. Yeah, I went there. The millennial bashing gets a little old. I will say, it was super entertaining to read Scotland's responses to Trump on Twitter. I think as Americans we really need to step our insult game up. #witlessfuckingcocksplat for the win!

Final political note, I'm glad the Dems are finally growing a backbone...better late than never. We will see what happens when Congress comes back from vacation.

In the meantime, love yourselves. Love each other. Be the change.

image credit thyme-is-honey.com








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Early Spring

Time marches on, and the wheel keeps turning. It's already in the 60s and 70s here in Missouri. My blackberry bush and asparagus are budding. I'm pretty sure my strawberries never actually went dormant this winter. It's time to get my seeds and seedlings to prepare for planting in a just a few more weeks. I had an existential crisis in January. Wondering what the hell I was doing with my life, and why the fuck shouldn't I take a giant leap of faith? So I did. I applied to grad school, to get my Master's in Library and Information Science (called an MLIS for short). I got in. I GOT IN! OhchristalmightyIgotin! It's still sinking in, a week later. I'm officially accepted and enrolled. I start in the fall of this year, and I am so. excited. I feel much more settled now...with everything going on in our country and the world, having my job feel like it was suffocating me was just one more thing I couldn't take. I can't change what #45 is doi

Shake It Out

We went to see Florence + the Machine last night for Buzz Under the Stars Night 1. It was blessed. Flo took me to church and shook my soul up, and soothed my weary heart with her voice. It's my second time seeing her in concert, and I think each time is always going to be like a religious experience. It's magic when an artist moves you to tears over and over. Yesterday was full of excitement and love and peace. Today (tonight really), my funk has started to rear its ugly head again. I feel...listless and restless and ready to explode out of my skin. I've been perusing my favorite website, Rebelle Society , reading beautiful essays and poetry that resonate deeply, reflecting my worries and fears and anguish back to me and forcing me to look. Forcing me to accept that I'm hurting and scared when I want to just keep pretending that I'm all good. Accepting my slump, I feel, is the first step towards pulling out of it. The cycles of depression I go through

Live, from New York

It's Super Tuesday NY Edition! Super-Mega-NYC Tuesday! Or something... If you've paid attention to CNN/MSNBC/FOX in the last 48 hours, that's what the 24 hour news stations are pitching, anyway. Right now Bernie has Hillary under a 20 point lead. With 45+% to still report, I'm feel *somewhat* confident that it will get under 15%. Berners (yeah, I went there) knew this was a likely outcome. Onward, forward, etc etc etc. Sometimes I think America doesn't deserve Bernie Sanders. Or maybe we just aren't ready for him. God knows we need him though. Moving on. Kansas City FINALLY had a good day of rain yesterday. It was glorious. I came home from work, set the kiddo up with a snack and threw on grubby clothes and spent most of the evening outside in the garden, playing in the mud (it had stopped raining by this point, at least) and pulling up phlox. Yeah. You saw that right. Phlox. The bane of my gardening existence. See, our house sits on a .76 acre lot i