Skip to main content

Here We Go...

So this is it! My first baby step into the world of blog and all that it entails! Truth be told, I'm scared to death, but excited at the same time. This blog is going to be mostly about my efforts, trials, and tribulations as I venture into the world of running my own business, but I will also throw in little tidbits about my life, my passions, and, of course, my musings. I will attempt to be funny and quirky and witty, as I want you, dear readers, to enjoy what I have to say and laugh along with me at life and its curveballs.

Shall we begin? A little background...I'm 27 years old, married to a wonderful man named Jon who is a hydraulic mechanic for an aircraft manufacturer and for the Unites States Air Force Reserve. We have a 3 year old son who I will refer to as Dono. He's intelligent, independent, ornery, and the light of my life. We have a pomapoo named Louie who is spoiled rotten but also our little fuzzbucket, and a cat named Kovu that I have had since he was 6 weeks old. He is also a lover, and he's my fur-baby through and through. Our little family is originally from Kansas City, MO, and transplanted to Wichita, KS about 7 months ago. At first it was rough, I had a hard time adjusting, and I missed my family and friends.
But then...I quit my retail job that I had been at for nearly 8 years total, and took a job at a fabric and crafts store (no, I will not be naming which one...I probably won't be talking much about it after this first little intro and I'd like to keep myself out of trouble, haha). I have always been a bit of a creative person, but considered myself a "jack of all trades, master of none"...I dabbled in lots of things (fimo clay, hemp, drawing, etc) but never got really good at anything. I started at the job, and all of a sudden the ideas were pouring out of my head for things I wanted to make, to try, to create. I pondered getting a sewing machine, because I loved looking, touching, and sometimes even smelling the fabrics. I wondered what I could create with them. After building up my scrapbooking collection, I bought a felt coffee cozy kit just for fun. After struggling with some of the stitches, I started to enjoy myself. I realized I could make these myself...I didn't need a kit! I started with felt...and hand-sewing and embroidery. At that point, I fell in love. I still do completely hand-done felt pieces, as they provide a nice mental break when I need it. My husband and I made the big decision to buy a sewing machine for me, and the rest is, as they say, history. I'm still testing my wings, working out the kinks (I haven't had a sewing class since high school!), and learning something new every single day. I'm also loving every minute of creation, of discovering, and of mastering a new skill, no matter how small. When I hit a block, which I sometimes do, I take a break from sewing on the machine and either paint, create my trinket boxes, or just hand-sew. I feel like I have finally found my passion. I started my shop on Etsy and I have been building inventory, and will continue to do so for some time. Meanwhile I just keep hoping and praying that maybe someday I will be able to do my passion full time for a living. In the meantime, I feel like I have the next best thing because of what I am surrounded by everyday at my regular job.

So that's it, in a nutshell...the reason why I am here! As time goes on I'm sure I will be sharing more, but that's my recent story and the most important elements of my life (my family and my art). Thanks for reading and keep coming back! (No, really...please come back!)


  1. Nice intro, but that hardly touches on how lovely and wonderful you are! Can't wait to see what else you create!



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Early Spring

Time marches on, and the wheel keeps turning.

It's already in the 60s and 70s here in Missouri. My blackberry bush and asparagus are budding. I'm pretty sure my strawberries never actually went dormant this winter.

It's time to get my seeds and seedlings to prepare for planting in a just a few more weeks.

I had an existential crisis in January. Wondering what the hell I was doing with my life, and why the fuck shouldn't I take a giant leap of faith?

So I did. I applied to grad school, to get my Master's in Library and Information Science (called an MLIS for short).

I got in. I GOT IN! OhchristalmightyIgotin!

It's still sinking in, a week later. I'm officially accepted and enrolled. I start in the fall of this year, and I am so. excited.

I feel much more settled now...with everything going on in our country and the world, having my job feel like it was suffocating me was just one more thing I couldn't take. I can't change what #45 is doing, or will d…

Shake It Out

We went to see Florence + the Machine last night for Buzz Under the Stars Night 1.

It was blessed. Flo took me to church and shook my soul up, and soothed my weary heart with her voice.

It's my second time seeing her in concert, and I think each time is always going to be like a religious experience. It's magic when an artist moves you to tears over and over.

Yesterday was full of excitement and love and peace.

Today (tonight really), my funk has started to rear its ugly head again. I feel...listless and restless and ready to explode out of my skin.

I've been perusing my favorite website, Rebelle Society, reading beautiful essays and poetry that resonate deeply, reflecting my worries and fears and anguish back to me and forcing me to look. Forcing me to accept that I'm hurting and scared when I want to just keep pretending that I'm all good.

Accepting my slump, I feel, is the first step towards pulling out of it. The cycles of depression I go through are not fun- b…

Life in the Time of Global Warming

I don't even know how to start writing today.

I just know I need to write.

Where to begin? I haven't posted since the beginning of September. And so much has changed.

I guess we can start with the Big One.

November 8th, 2016. I wasn't thrilled with my choice for the next leader of the free world, but I had accepted it. Made my peace. Knew that we would keep moving forward, and it would be so much better than going 50 steps back.

As my husband and I watched the results roll in, anticipation turned to disbelief, and dread. I kept refreshing the browser pages, my phone, anything to tell me that this wasn't actually happening, that it couldn't actually be real.

I didn't go to sleep until 3 am. I woke up at 6:30, bleary eyed, and in shock, and went to work. My mom called me to ask how I was. I burst into tears as I told her I was terrified.

As the transition began, we settled in to a "new normal"...daily there were things that made me angry, made me sad. I…