Skip to main content

WHEW. Summer wind down.

Even though we still have a few weeks left...the kiddos are all back in school, and I can feel the summer winding down around me.

My heart is so full, despite the pain of the world around me. Or maybe its because of all the anger in the world that I am flooding myself with positivity and light and love. I can't bear to wallow.

It's been 8 weeks since I blogged, and in all honesty it's because we've just been so damn busy. 4th of July, concerts, bbqs, births of babies, and just general cherishing of each other. I started a new job a little over a month ago. And while of course I still want to be a hippie and work for myself from my home, the stress relief has been immense.

My previous job might have been making me sick with stress. I was having major GI problems, and it got to the point where my fibro was flaring and I felt horrible 95% of the time. We are still trying to dig out the root cause of the tummy troubles (basically we are down to either GERD or Celiac's Disease), but I feel so much better already after starting a PPI, working on diet changes, and changing jobs.

Life is good. <3

And now, without further ado, it's about to get heavy in here. Picture heavy, I mean.

4th of July! 

I didn't take many from our annual BBQ, but this is one of my faves...Ayla and her daddy. 

From our camping trip. Beautiful scenery. Not so beautiful time.

More campground.

The sunset on our trip.

Dono pretending to be a security guard and patrolling the park. 

This right here...iced herbal tea and Leinie's for the win!

Playing with the camera in my backyard.

Macro lens is macro.

Baby girl so big.

At our dear friend's birthday picnic in the park. <3

I don't know what he did, but this face is amazing!

Dono and Olive petting the lover puppy.

My chunky monkey 'nephew' Atticus giving me a little smile.

You can't tell, but she was getting down to some jams right here. 

Some of my favorite people.

I wasn't joking when I said it's been a baby summer...Atticus on the left and Kali on the right. They are about 3 weeks apart.

Nina getting some baby loves before Ayla saw...a certain little Miss I know gets jealous when her mama plays with other babies, haha.

This is what Jon has been doing all summer...his project car is almost done! It runs and everything now! 

I should probably explain the camping thing--- It was a beautiful campground, chock full of RVs, haha. And the "beach" at the lake that looked so pretty in pictures was...not so awesome. It was hotter than hell and just all around uncomfortable. We came back home after 22 hours. I am a hippie who needs 4 walls and roof, for sure! And my husband is *definitely* not a tent camping person. I think next year the grown ups in our group/tribe/collective/unbiological family are going to attempt to get a float trip together- Jon and I have never been, and everyone else has been before but we've never all gone as a group together. With no kiddos to worry about, I feel the shenanigans will be heavy. And hilarious.

Like I said, it's been a beautiful, busy, life giving summer. Today we are off to a Labor Day BBQ with the friends, and tomorrow grilling with parents and siblings. Yesterday we went to a classic car show ( was really cool! Next year we are posting up with some friends we know who put their cars/bikes in the show), did go-karts, and played at PowerPlay. This weekend is definitely turning out to be a beautiful send off to the summer. <3

"Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even thought the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place." ---Vonnegut


Popular posts from this blog

Early Spring

Time marches on, and the wheel keeps turning.

It's already in the 60s and 70s here in Missouri. My blackberry bush and asparagus are budding. I'm pretty sure my strawberries never actually went dormant this winter.

It's time to get my seeds and seedlings to prepare for planting in a just a few more weeks.

I had an existential crisis in January. Wondering what the hell I was doing with my life, and why the fuck shouldn't I take a giant leap of faith?

So I did. I applied to grad school, to get my Master's in Library and Information Science (called an MLIS for short).

I got in. I GOT IN! OhchristalmightyIgotin!

It's still sinking in, a week later. I'm officially accepted and enrolled. I start in the fall of this year, and I am so. excited.

I feel much more settled now...with everything going on in our country and the world, having my job feel like it was suffocating me was just one more thing I couldn't take. I can't change what #45 is doing, or will d…

Shake It Out

We went to see Florence + the Machine last night for Buzz Under the Stars Night 1.

It was blessed. Flo took me to church and shook my soul up, and soothed my weary heart with her voice.

It's my second time seeing her in concert, and I think each time is always going to be like a religious experience. It's magic when an artist moves you to tears over and over.

Yesterday was full of excitement and love and peace.

Today (tonight really), my funk has started to rear its ugly head again. I feel...listless and restless and ready to explode out of my skin.

I've been perusing my favorite website, Rebelle Society, reading beautiful essays and poetry that resonate deeply, reflecting my worries and fears and anguish back to me and forcing me to look. Forcing me to accept that I'm hurting and scared when I want to just keep pretending that I'm all good.

Accepting my slump, I feel, is the first step towards pulling out of it. The cycles of depression I go through are not fun- b…

Life in the Time of Global Warming

I don't even know how to start writing today.

I just know I need to write.

Where to begin? I haven't posted since the beginning of September. And so much has changed.

I guess we can start with the Big One.

November 8th, 2016. I wasn't thrilled with my choice for the next leader of the free world, but I had accepted it. Made my peace. Knew that we would keep moving forward, and it would be so much better than going 50 steps back.

As my husband and I watched the results roll in, anticipation turned to disbelief, and dread. I kept refreshing the browser pages, my phone, anything to tell me that this wasn't actually happening, that it couldn't actually be real.

I didn't go to sleep until 3 am. I woke up at 6:30, bleary eyed, and in shock, and went to work. My mom called me to ask how I was. I burst into tears as I told her I was terrified.

As the transition began, we settled in to a "new normal"...daily there were things that made me angry, made me sad. I…