Skip to main content

Apartment Gardening and other random thoughts

Today was a lovely day. Spring was in the air and I'm tickled tickled, in fact, that I changed the blog up AGAIN! One of these days I'll put my Dad to work and stop using Google templates and have something uber unique, but this will work for now! And yes, I will probably keep playing around with it. I'm like that.

The very most important thing on my list of things to do today was to go get a few more pots and some potting soil. I had things to plant and it needed doing, like, NOW. I discovered in Wichita that I actually like gardening. I like growing my own food, I like getting my hands in the dirt and I love to smell green things grow. It soothes's almost like I can feel my stress and anxiety transfer from my hands into the earth. And you may be rolling your eyes and muttering "crazy tree-hugging hippie", but just humor me for a second. When it warms up, go plant something, and care for it, and watch it grow. And see if it doesn't make you just a little bit happy. :)

Ok, back to the story at hand. I got everything planted/potted today. Our apartment garden now has orchids, tulips, a lily, basil, rosemary, thyme, cilantro, and peppermint. I dearly wish I could grow my own veggies again this year, but I don't think that's going to be possible, so I will just have to go steal some from my Dad's garden instead. Luckily for me, they almost always end up with extras, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Since it's not *quite* warm enough to put my babies outside, I set up the ones that need at least partial sun on my kitchen windowsill. I have quite a nice large window, and it gets good sun, so I'm pleased. Don't they look so sweet all in a row?

I have 2 bigger pots that I'm not sure what to do with at this point, but I need to figure it out soon. We'll see. I love decorative pots when I have to have potted plants, so my thought process at this point is to do something fun with the plain clay pots to give them some life. I'll post pics when I decide on what that is.

I also got another custom order's a yoga bag and it's going to be adorable, and I will post pictures of it once it's in the hands of its new owner. Which will be soon!

Of course I also had to start another knitting project since I finished my ruffle scarf...I can't resist starting them, it's like a moth to flame, I just have to have at least 3 WIPs going at all times. It's actually pretty ridiculous, but hey, it's alright! I do eventually finish everything I start!

The last nice thing about today was yoga. FINALLY, after 4 months, I got back into a yoga class. And it kicked my butt. I've only ever done basic (aka newbie) yoga and slow flow/slow vinyassa. This was definitely meant to be a flow class, and my abs and thighs are telling me all about it. BUT it was still great to get focused and relax at the same time. The goal is to go once a week, and I may try to do a slower-paced slow flow at home to relax.

I came home to my son being kind of adorable and silly, and put him to bed whilst smothering him with kisses. I adore him so much. Speaking of bed, it's where I need to head after folding a bit of laundry and taking a quick soak in the tub (for those who don't know, I'm a water baby...if I could be a mermaid, I would. My favorite non-sewing/craft thing to get as gifts are things from Lush...and if you don't know what that is, you need to find out because they rock my socks off!).

"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good." -Minor Myers Jr.

Love and light.


Popular posts from this blog

Early Spring

Time marches on, and the wheel keeps turning.

It's already in the 60s and 70s here in Missouri. My blackberry bush and asparagus are budding. I'm pretty sure my strawberries never actually went dormant this winter.

It's time to get my seeds and seedlings to prepare for planting in a just a few more weeks.

I had an existential crisis in January. Wondering what the hell I was doing with my life, and why the fuck shouldn't I take a giant leap of faith?

So I did. I applied to grad school, to get my Master's in Library and Information Science (called an MLIS for short).

I got in. I GOT IN! OhchristalmightyIgotin!

It's still sinking in, a week later. I'm officially accepted and enrolled. I start in the fall of this year, and I am so. excited.

I feel much more settled now...with everything going on in our country and the world, having my job feel like it was suffocating me was just one more thing I couldn't take. I can't change what #45 is doing, or will d…

Shake It Out

We went to see Florence + the Machine last night for Buzz Under the Stars Night 1.

It was blessed. Flo took me to church and shook my soul up, and soothed my weary heart with her voice.

It's my second time seeing her in concert, and I think each time is always going to be like a religious experience. It's magic when an artist moves you to tears over and over.

Yesterday was full of excitement and love and peace.

Today (tonight really), my funk has started to rear its ugly head again. I feel...listless and restless and ready to explode out of my skin.

I've been perusing my favorite website, Rebelle Society, reading beautiful essays and poetry that resonate deeply, reflecting my worries and fears and anguish back to me and forcing me to look. Forcing me to accept that I'm hurting and scared when I want to just keep pretending that I'm all good.

Accepting my slump, I feel, is the first step towards pulling out of it. The cycles of depression I go through are not fun- b…

Life in the Time of Global Warming

I don't even know how to start writing today.

I just know I need to write.

Where to begin? I haven't posted since the beginning of September. And so much has changed.

I guess we can start with the Big One.

November 8th, 2016. I wasn't thrilled with my choice for the next leader of the free world, but I had accepted it. Made my peace. Knew that we would keep moving forward, and it would be so much better than going 50 steps back.

As my husband and I watched the results roll in, anticipation turned to disbelief, and dread. I kept refreshing the browser pages, my phone, anything to tell me that this wasn't actually happening, that it couldn't actually be real.

I didn't go to sleep until 3 am. I woke up at 6:30, bleary eyed, and in shock, and went to work. My mom called me to ask how I was. I burst into tears as I told her I was terrified.

As the transition began, we settled in to a "new normal"...daily there were things that made me angry, made me sad. I…