Skip to main content

Shake It Out

We went to see Florence + the Machine last night for Buzz Under the Stars Night 1.

It was blessed. Flo took me to church and shook my soul up, and soothed my weary heart with her voice.

It's my second time seeing her in concert, and I think each time is always going to be like a religious experience. It's magic when an artist moves you to tears over and over.

Yesterday was full of excitement and love and peace.

Today (tonight really), my funk has started to rear its ugly head again. I feel...listless and restless and ready to explode out of my skin.

I've been perusing my favorite website, Rebelle Society, reading beautiful essays and poetry that resonate deeply, reflecting my worries and fears and anguish back to me and forcing me to look. Forcing me to accept that I'm hurting and scared when I want to just keep pretending that I'm all good.

Accepting my slump, I feel, is the first step towards pulling out of it. The cycles of depression I go through are not fun- but I long ago accepted that they will happen. The best thing I can do is accept that it is happening, and focus on being gentle with myself, loving myself, and finding the beauty that surrounds me. (This is why Flo's music speaks so deeply to me...she is absolutely right, how big and how blue and how beautiful the world is, when I take the time to really look).

My creativity has been a bit dry lately, that ever ebbing and flowing energy that every artist experiences, but I can feel it welling back up inside me, to the point where I may burst into a thousand pieces. By pouring my soul out onto the page in the form of a blog, I am siphoning off a little bit of it- a slight release of pressure that is so needed at the moment, as I bounce from my "real" job to spending time with my family, to connecting with friends and the plans that never seem to end right now. At some point out it will spill over completely and I will spend an evening feverishly sewing and knitting and letting it pour out of me until 2 am. But that day is not today, not yet. In the interim, I will continue to breathe, to exist, to just be, and to focus on healing my soul and my head.

I'd love to give photo credit here, but it's pulled from Pinterest and the original site is gone. Quote credit, at least, goes to Albus Dumbledore/J.K. Rowling.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here We Go...

So this is it! My first baby step into the world of blog and all that it entails! Truth be told, I'm scared to death, but excited at the same time. This blog is going to be mostly about my efforts, trials, and tribulations as I venture into the world of running my own business, but I will also throw in little tidbits about my life, my passions, and, of course, my musings. I will attempt to be funny and quirky and witty, as I want you, dear readers, to enjoy what I have to say and laugh along with me at life and its curveballs. Shall we begin? A little background...I'm 27 years old, married to a wonderful man named Jon who is a hydraulic mechanic for an aircraft manufacturer and for the Unites States Air Force Reserve. We have a 3 year old son who I will refer to as Dono. He's intelligent, independent, ornery, and the light of my life. We have a pomapoo named Louie who is spoiled rotten but also our little fuzzbucket, and a cat named Kovu that I have had since he was 6 wee...

Not ashamed (of being a foodie)

This is the part where I would normally say "Dang it's been so long since I made a blog post!" But HA! It's only been 5 days! (I'm very proud of myself). I *meant* for it to be sooner, but between a migraine on Wednesday evening and horrid, horrid cramps last night, I got a bit delayed. I did make a fantastic dinner last night, and tonight as well. Last night was chicken milanese with potatoes, mushrooms, and roasted asparagus. I only took a picture of the potatoes and mushrooms though.  Mmm...cast iron cooking for the win, right here! Pictures of food are something that seem to pop up a lot in my instagram, which I guess makes me a foodie. But I'm okay with that, because food is amazing and I like to eat. Part of the reason I keep taking pictures of my food like a weirdo though, is because I finally learned how to cook actual "from scratch" meals, thanks to this lady right here:  Ree Drummond might be a genius. There on the right side, you...

More like Sunday Blahday

That pretty much perfectly describes my Sunday so far. Our awesome Missouri weather is playing games with my head and sinuses (seriously, it was 65 on Wednesday, and last night it SNOWED, and tomorrow it's supposed to be 65 again), and it's got me feeling pretty run down today. Which is totally lame because.... I got this beauty in the mail today! The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 <3 I'm in love already...I've managed to get her up and running, threaded, and some practice stuff sewn. After my Curvy, she is so quiet! And is it weird that I'm giving my machine a gender pronoun...? And yes, that's a Singer serger hiding back there. I don't use my serger nearly enough...my thread tensions have been jacked up for quite some time now, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it quite right...I end up having to sew an extra seam right next to the serged edge, which kind of defeats the purpose for time saving... Moving on though, I really wish...